Basketball legend Michael Jordan was a peerless sportsman in his heydays and anyone who watched him play was lucky to have seen greatness on the court.
He enjoyed an illustrious career before he retired in 2003. Six years later in September 2009, he was inducted into the Hall of Fame. Having been an MVP and with an array of titles and personal achievements, there was bound to be an interest in him. Some of his achievements include 6 NBA championships, 2 gold medals, and 5 MVP awards. He has several affectionate nicknames such as His Royal Airness, and MJ like the late music legend Michael Jackson.
Michael Jordan’s Profile Summary
Considered one of the best basketball players ever and widely considered the single greatest player in NBA history, Michael Jordan dominated the sport from the mid-1980s to the late 1990s. The American led the Chicago Bulls to six National Basketball Association championships and earned the NBA’s Most Valuable Player Award an impressive five times. With five regular-season MVPs and three All-Star MVPs, Jordan became the most decorated player in the NBA. Here are quick facts you must know
- Name: Michael Jeffrey Jordan (Mike, Air Jordan, M.J., His Airness, Money, Black Cat, G.O.A.T., Superman)
- Position: Small Forward and Shooting Guard ▪ Shoots: Right
- Height and Weight: 6-6, 195lb (198cm, 88kg)
- Born: February 17, 1963 (Age: 54-309d) in Brooklyn, New York, US
- College: University of North Carolina
- High School: Emsley A. Laney in Wilmington, North Carolina
- Draft: Chicago Bulls, 1st round (3rd pick, 3rd overall), 1984 NBA Draft
- NBA Debut: October 26, 1984
- Hall of Fame: Inducted as Player in 2009
Michael Jordan’s Net Worth From His NBA Career and TV Shows
Jordan began his basketball career with a $6 million contract deal which eventually increased to $23 million after 6 years. During his comeback in 1997, he re-signed a $30 million deal with Chicago Bulls and a further $33 million deal in 1998. In 2001, he played for the Wizards after penning a two-year contract worth $2 million.
MJ starred in the 1996 hit movie, “Space Jam” which made history as the highest-grossing basketball movie, making $230 million. The basketball legend is currently worth $2.1 billion
His Wives, Kids, and Mansion
Michael Jordan married Juanita Vanoy in 1989, the marriage lasted for 17 years and the marriage produced 3 Children before the couple broke up and divorced in December 2006. Following the divorce from his wife Juanita Jordan, he was forced to pay her $168 million as a divorce settlement, making it one of the biggest divorce settlements in history.
On April 27, 2013, Jordan married 35-year-old Cuban-American model Yvette Prieto in Palm Beach, Florida. In attendance were Tiger Woods, Spike Lee and Patrick Ewing, among other celebrities. The couple welcomed their twin daughters, Victoria and Ysabel, in February 2014.
Michael Jordan’s Wealth after retirement
MJ had lucrative endorsement deals with giant companies including Nike, Coca-Cola, Chevrolet, Hanes, McDonald’s and Gatorade which made him much more valuable in and out of the sport. And despite retiring over a decade ago, these deals keep bringing in money.
After his long successful basketball career came to an end, he ventured into entrepreneurship and have been raking in millions ever since. In 2014, he made $100 million from his Nike Air Jordan branded sneakers, $6 million more than what he made during his remarkable career.
Mike owns 89.5 % of the Charlotte Bobcats which he bought from BET founder Robert Johnson for $175 million dollars. The team is now valued at $750 million.
Jordan is also involved in the real estate business and he’s making huge ripples enough to rank him with the likes of Donald Trump. He has penned a book titled “Michael Jordan: The Life”, published in May 2014 whose figures are up in the air. On top of that, he has several biographies which have sold well in their capacities as many are interested in the legend’s life and how he shot to fame.
See Also: 30 Highest-Paid Celebrities
Michael Jordan according to credible sources is the world’s richest retired athlete with Roger Penske who is worth $1.5 billion coming after him. His net worth is in tune with the likes of WWE’s Vince McMahon and is currently worth $2.1 billion
One of the amazing things about his wealth is that it remains unaffected by inflation adjustments. All these opines that the status of Michael never diminished even after he retired, he still remains an influential figure in the American society outside of sports.
Michael Jordan continues to be a brand and a valuable one still who holds a candle with the best in his prime. Having shattered all sorts of records in sports without much fuss, he is making frontiers in business and has already leapt established names to become an icon.
His $1 billion wealth has afforded him a $50 million dollar private jet which he uses to shuttle around the world.
Jordan is set to make even more money in the future thanks to his branded Nike merchandise whose revenue has bee enjoying a rapid exponential growth. In 2016 the brand grossed $2.8 billion in revenue up 18% from the previous year. Nike Jordan accounts for about 50% of the basketball sneaker market. From Nike alone, Jordan earns an average of $100 million annually. The brand is looking to sell about $4.5 billion worth of merchandise by 2020. It must be good to be MJ.
Michael Jordan Quotes
Here are some of the motivational Michael Jordan quotes we think you’ll love
1. “I’ve missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I’ve lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I’ve been trusted to take the game-winning shot and missed. I’ve failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed.” – Michael Jordan
2. “Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence win championships.” – Michael Jordan
3. “I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying.” – Michael Jordan
4. “My attitude is that if you push me towards something that you think is a weakness, then I will turn that perceived weakness into a strength.” – Michael Jordan
5. “You must expect great things of yourself before you can do them.” – Michael Jordan
6. “To be successful you have to be selfish, or else you never achieve. And once you get to your highest level, then you have to be unselfish. Stay reachable. Stay in touch. Don’t isolate.” – Michael Jordan
7. “Obstacles don’t have to stop you. If you run into a wall, don’t turn around and give up. Figure out how to climb it, go through it, or work around it.” – Michael Jordan
8. “If you quit once it becomes a habit. Never quit!” – Michael Jordan
9. “Always turn a negative situation into a positive situation.” – Michael Jordan
10. “Everybody has talent, but ability takes hard work.” – Michael Jordan
11. “To learn to succeed, you must first learn to fail.” – Michael Jordan
12. “Never say never, because limits, like fears, are often just an illusion.” – Michael Jordan