Have you ever wondered just how rich the world’s wealthiest politicians really are? Just to put things into perspective, many of them have succeeded in gaining huge amounts of wealth in a variety of ways, and while you may not have high views of politicians, the top 21 richest politicians of all time are named here alongside some of their notable accomplishments. Interestingly, some of these politicians have made giant strides and distinguished themselves with their various political offices in their countries. While some are self-made, others are distinguished business magnates as well.
21. Nelson Rockefeller of United States; Net Worth: $1.1 Billion
- Born: July 8, 1908; Died: January 26, 1979
- Source of Wealth: Business
The name Rockefeller is certainly synonymous with wealth and Nelson was from this well-known family. Worth approximately $1.1 billion, he served in a variety of political positions, including Vice President under Gerald Ford’s presidency. He truly had a fair amount of influence throughout his career.
20. Michael Ashcroft of Britain; Net Worth: $1.7 Billion
- Date of Birth: March 4, 1946 (age 75 years)
- Source of Wealth: Security
Michael Ashcroft is a British politician and a businessman with an estimated net worth of $1.7 billion. He has managed to build up a company that has become a leader in the security sector, including ADT, which the security company Tyco International bought for $6.7 billion in 1997. Michael served as the deputy chairman of the Conservative Party from 2005 to 2010.
19. Sonia Gandhi of India; Net Worth: $2 Billion
- Date of Birth: December 9, 1946 (age 74 years)
- Source of Wealth: Mining
Sonia Gandhi is the president of the Indian National Congress. She was married to a former Indian prime minister Rajiv Gandhi who was assassinated in 1991. Sonia rejected calls from congressional leaders to take over the government but eventually joined politics in 1997 and was subsequently elected president of the congress party in 1998.
18. Donald Trump of USA; Net Worth: $2.5 Billion
- Date of Birth: June 14, 1946 (age 75 years)
- Source of Wealth: Real Estate
Donald Trump, the outspoken businessman who found interest in politics has become almost synonymous with controversies because of his strong and direct political opinions that don’t sit well with many people. His privately held company that encompasses real estate, product licensing, golf courses, hotels, and resorts investments has guaranteed him a spot on the list of richest politicians. He served as the 45th President of the United States and is currently worth $2.5 billion. Following the coronavirus pandemic and his election campaign, he recorded a serious decline in his net worth.
17. Sebastian Pinera of Chile; Net Worth: $2.8 Billion
- Date of Birth: December 1, 1949 (age 71 years)
- Source of Wealth: Investments
As the current president of Chile, Sebastian Pinera started his political career on a high note. After promising to sell his holdings before his election, Pinera actually kept his word and unloaded his stake in airlines and television, gaining him a net worth of $2.8 billion. However, after the student protest and fires in the country’s national forests in 2012, his approval ratings dropped to just 23 percent, one of the lowest in history. He has been the President of Chile since March 11, 2018, and has previously held that position from March 11, 2010, to March 11, 2014.
16. Naguib Sawiris of Egypt; Net Worth: $3 Billion
- Date of Birth: June 15, 1954 (age 67 years)
- Source of Wealth: Telecom
This founder of the Free Egyptians Party has made huge headlines for his work to promote free markets, as well as a secular government. He certainly has influence and is backed by his net worth of $3 billion. He once tweeted a bearded Mickey Mouse picture in an attempt to humor. As such, hard-line Islamists are calling on him to be tried for insulting their religion. Sawiris built a fortune in telecom, after selling Orascom Telecom in 2011 to Russian telecom firm VimpelCom (now Veon) in a multibillion-dollar transaction.
15. Tom Golisano of USA; Net Worth: $4 Billion
- Date of Birth: November 14, 1941 (age 79 years)
- Source of Wealth: Payroll Services
This gubernatorial candidate has contested for the mayor position of New York thrice but still manages to lose out on election day. However, with a net worth of $4 billion, he can still afford to maintain his political prowess. He founded the payroll firm, Paychex, in 1971.
14. Henry Ross Perot, Sr. of USA; Net Worth: $4.1 Billion
- Born: June 27, 1930, Died: July 9, 2019
- Source of Wealth: Computer Services, Real Estate
This two-time presidential candidate is worth $4.1 billion, and he surely knows how to spend it. He spent $60 million on his first presidential campaign back in 1992 but only managed to capture 19% of the vote. Just a few years later, he founded his own Reform Party and ran for president again. Again, he was defeated. He eventually decided to leave political scenes. He sold his computer services firm, Perot Systems, to Dell Computer for $3.9 billion, netting $800 million in 2009.
13. Meg Whitman Of USA; Net Worth: $5 Billion
- Date of Birth: August 4, 1956 (age 64 years)
- Source of Wealth: eBay
Although her $5 billion net worth is not the highest on this list, she’s still doing well. Whitman was a gubernatorial candidate in California but ended up losing the 2010 election. However, she’s still on top and is currently serving as a board member of Procter & Gamble and Dropbox. Meg Whitman previously served as the CEO and president of Hewlett-Packard Enterprise.
12. Lu Guanqiu of China; Net Worth: $5.7 Billion
- Born: January 17, 1945; Died: October 25, 2017
- Source of Wealth: Conglomerate
Once one of the wealthiest persons in Zhejiang Province and a delegate to the Chinese National People’s Congress, Lu Guanqiu is the founder of Wanxiang Group. The company was initially an auto parts manufacturer, but later diversified into other sectors like solar power and real estate. His wealth was estimated by Forbes to be $5.7 Billion at the time of his death in 2017.
11. Silvio Berlusconi of Italy; Net Worth: $6.4 Billion
- Date of Birth: September 29, 1936 (age 84 years)
- Source of Wealth: Media
As the prime minister of Italy from 2008 to 2011, Berlusconi made himself a controversial figure. He resigned his office amid scandals and the nation’s crumbling economy. However, while he’s still doing well financially, he has faced several charges for tax fraud. Denying all allegations, it’s unsure of what the future holds for this ousted leader. Nevertheless, his wealth is valued at $6.4 billion.
10. Savitri Devi Jindal of India; Net Worth: $7 Billion
- Date of Birth: March 20, 1950 (age 71 years)
- Source of Wealth: Steel and Power
Though it’s non-executive, this widow who is the Chairperson of Jindal Steel and Power Limited is estimated to be worth $7 Billion. She was once a minister in the Haryana government and a member of its legislative assembly. As a member of the INC political party, she ran for office in 2014 but was defeated by her BJP counterpart.
9. Mikhail Prokhorov of Russia; Net Worth: $11.3 Billion
- Date of Birth: May 3, 1965 (age 56 years)
- Source of Wealth: Investments
A former candidate for the 2012 Russian presidential race, Prokhorov is well known across the world for his wealth, as well as his career. He left Right Cause political party as their movement collapsed, and during the 2012 election, he only won 8 percent of the vote against Vladimir Putin. He went on to form a new party called Civic Platform in June 2012. However, with $11.3 billion, Mikhail Prokhorov is certainly doing well for himself.
8. Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum of UAE; Net Worth: $18 Billion
- Date of Birth: July 15, 1949 (age 72 years)
- Source of Wealth: Profits from the Oil Industry
As the vice president and prime minister of the United Arab Emirates (UAE), as-well the emir of Dubai, Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum is also known as Sheikh Mohammed. Major reforms in the United Arab Emirate government like the United Arab Emirate vision 2012 that aims at making the United Arab Emirates one of the best countries of the world has been attributed to him. Aside from that, the emir of Dubai is highly involved in the growth of Dubai as known today. He owns almost all of the enterprises held by Dubai Holding, and as such, you should not be astonished that his net worth is somewhere around $18 billion.
7. Suleiman Kerimov of Russia; Net Worth: $21.7 Billion
- Date of Birth: March 12, 1966 (age 55 years)
- Source of Wealth: Investments
Suleiman Kerimov previously known as Suleyman Abusaidovich Kerimov has an estimated $21.7 billion. Kerimov graduated with a degree as a financial accountant, worked as an assistant Director-General and economist, the Deputy Director-General of Soyuz-Finance, and later started his political career when he emerged as a member of the lower house of the Federal Assembly of Russia. It might interest you to know that Suleiman Kerimov is often referred to as the wealthiest civil servant in Russia.
6. Serge Dassault of France; Net Worth: $22.6 Billion
- Born: April 4, 1925; Died: May 28, 2018
- Source of Wealth: Diversified
As a French senator, chairman, and CEO of Groupe Dassault, Dassault inherited Groupe Dassault, a corporation made of smaller corporations from his father, Marcel Dassault. Dassault previously served as the mayor of Corbeil-Essones. He was once accused of paying for votes during his mayoral campaign and was ousted out of office in 2009 after he was caught handing out valuables to voters.
5. Khalifa Bin Zayed Al Nahyan of UAE; Net Worth: $23 Billion
- Date of Birth: September 7, 1948 (age 72 years)
- Source of Wealth: Profits from the Abu Dhabi Investment Authority
Khalifa Bin Zayed Al Nahyan is also called Sheikh Khalifa. He is the president of the United Arab Emirates, the Emir of Abu Dhabi, and a well-known philanthropist. He became the Emir of Abu Dhabi after his father died, and as such, became the president. According to Forbes, Sheikh Khalifa “runs the world’s second-largest sovereign wealth fund, with reported assets of $773 billion” and his estimated net worth is around $23 billion.
4. Hassanal Bolkiah of Brunei; Net Worth: $28 Billion
- Date of Birth: July 15, 1946 (age 75 years)
- Source of Wealth: Profits from the Oil and Gas Industry
The first and incumbent prime minister of Brunei, Hassanal Bolkiah is also the 29th and current sultan and yang di-Pertuan of Brunei. Hassanal Bolkiah has consistently appeared on the list of the wealthiest persons on earth. Bolkiah has been ruling Brunei since 1968.
3. Bhumibol Adulyadej of Thailand; Net Worth: $30 Billion
- Born: December 5, 1927, Died: 13 October 2016
- Source of Wealth: Property and Investments
The ninth monarch of the Chakri Dynasty, Bhumibol Adulyadej; the King of Thailand is known as Rama IX. He is also known as the world’s longest-serving head of state, as well as the longest-reigning monarch in Thai history. According to Business Insider, he “has a net worth of $30 billion and is the world’s wealthiest royal.”
2. Michael Bloomberg of USA; Net Worth: $54.9 Billion
- Date of Birth: February 14, 1942 (age 79 years)
- Source of Wealth: Bloomberg LP, Self Made
According to Forbes, Bloomberg is worth an estimated $54.9 billion. He was the co-founder of Bloomberg L.P, as well as the former mayor of New York City. Bloomberg was in office from 2002 to 2013, thus becoming one of the four to have served that long and is best remembered for his work with equal rights rather than his wealth. He was briefly a candidate for the 2020 Democratic Party nomination for President of the United States.
1. Vladimir Putin of Russia; Net Worth: $70 Billion
- Date of Birth: October 7, 1952 (age 68 years)
- Source of Wealth: Business
Vladimir Putin is estimated to be worth $70 billion in 2020. However, Bill Browder the co-founder of Hermitage Capital Management; the investment fund that happens to be Russia’s former largest foreign investor revealed that Putin is worth about $200 billion while appearing before the American Senate Judiciary Committee in 2017. Vladimir Putin has been the president of Russia since 2012. Before then, he served as Russian prime minister from 1999 to 2000, served as president from 2000 to 2008, and again served as prime minister from 2008 to 2012, he’s currently the president of Russia. Now, that’s the reason he is regarded as the most powerful man on earth. Certainly, politics attracts the wealthiest people across the world.
Here’s a quick look at the 21 Richest Politicians Of All Time:
- Vladimir Putin
- Michael Bloomberg
- Bhumibol Adulyadej
- Hassanal Bolkiah
- Khalifa Bin Zayed Al Nahyan
- Serge Dassault
- Suleiman Kerimov
- Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum
- Mikhail Prokhorov
- Savitri Devi Jindal
- Silvio Berlusconi
- Lu Guanqiu
- Meg Whitman
- Henry Ross Perot, Sr.
- Tom Golisano
- Naguib Sawiris
- Sebastian Pinera
- Donald Trump
- Sonia Gandhi
- Michael Ashcroft
- Nelson Rockefeller