Cameron Jibril Thomaz better-known by his stage name, Wiz Khalifa is an American rapper, songwriter, and actor born in Minot, North Dakota on September 8, 1987. He came out of the curtains in the year 2005 with his first mixtape, ‘Prince of the City: Welcome to Pistolvania’.
Declared as an ‘artist to watch’ that year in the Rolling Stone magazine, Wiz Khalifa is now one of the top Hip-Hop artists around. His father, who served in the military got divorced from his mom when Khalifa was only three years old. The name Wiz Khalifa was given to him by his grandfather Jibril Abdul-Hafeez who was a Muslim. Khalifa means ‘successor’ and Wiz, a short-form of Wisdom.
Albums, Songs, and Discography
He came out fully to pursue his music career in the year 2005 with his first mixtape. Wiz was well-received and appreciated by the audience he targeted. It wasn’t surprising he got marked thereafter as an artist to watch in the Rolling Stones magazine. He released his debut album, Show and Prove in 2006, and signed to Warner Bros Records in 2007. Though the album did not sell very well as anticipated, he gained popularity by gathering millions of views on YouTube.
His single, Say Yeah received urban radio airplay, charting on the Rhythmic Top 40 and Hot Rap Tracks charts in 2008. Khalifa parted with Warner Bros and released his second album, ‘Deal or No Deal’ in November 2009. Afterwards, he released the mixtape ‘Kush and Orange Juice’ as a free download in April 2010 and then signed with the Atlantic Records. He is also well known for his debut single for Atlantic, ‘Black and Yellow’. The debut single was at number 1 on the Billboard Hot 100. The song refers to the colors of the City of Pittsburgh. ‘Blacc Hollywood’ is the latest album by Khalifa. The album was released on August 18, 2014.
On December 12, 2012, Wiz Khalifa was declared as an ambassador for his hometown – Pittsburgh. As it happened, the Pittsburgh City Council announced that the day was Wiz Khalifa’s Day.
Khalifa is open about his use of Cannabis. While it is believed that he spends $10,000 a month on cannabis, it is said that he smokes daily. As of early 2014, Khalifa stopped paying for cannabis. The Cookie Factory, a medical marijuana dispenser which sells his Khalifa Kush (KK) strain takes care of his smoking needs.
As loved by many of the youths all over the world, Wiz Khalifa was nominated and has won many awards in his career. In 2011, Khalifa won the title of Best New Artist at the BET awards. The next year, he won the Top New artist on the Billboard Music Award title. Khalifa’s Black Hollywood’s first single titled ‘We Dem Boyz’ was nominated for the 2014 MTV Video Music Awards’ for the Best Hip-Hop Video category. However, it lost to Drake’s R&B song – Hold On, We’re Going Home.
Khalifa has become popular for his powerful and inspirational quotes which he spreads through his music. Here are some of our favorite words from Wiz Khalifa;
1. The most daring thing is to be yourself and to do exactly what you want to do at that point in time and not to be worried about what other people are doing or what’s popular.
2. Whatever I do, I do it because I want to do it and because it’s completely 100% me.
3.The worst feeling is pretending you don’t care about something when in reality it’s all you seem to think about.
4. What you put up with you end up with. You can only expect what you accept from people.
5. Be who you are and let everyone love that person.
6. Some people are real. Some people are good. Some people are fake and some people are really good at being fake.
7. Good things come in good time.
8. Cry as hard as you want to, but just make sure that when you’re finished, you never cry for the same reason again.
9. We must get hurt in order to grow, fail in order to know, and lose in order to gain. Because some lessons in life are best learned through pain.
10. Don’t let the sadness from the past and the fear of the future ruin the happiness of the present.
11. Sometimes the best way to get someone’s attention is to stop giving them yours.
12. Everyone is born beautiful, some people just let the world turn them into something ugly.
13. You don’t need too many people to be happy. Just a few real ones who appreciate you for who you are.
14. Don’t date the most beautiful girl in the world, date the girl that makes your world the most beautiful.
15. We never really learn from the first mistake or the second or third. It only gets us when we’re given the last chance.
16. Don’t worry about someone who doesn’t worry about you.
17. You don’t need too many people to be happy. Just a few real ones who appreciate you for who you are.
18. When someone special walks into your life and is able to change things for the better, don’t let them walk away.
19. I don’t regret my past, I just regret the time I’ve wasted on the wrong people.
20. Don’t leave something good to find something better. Once you realize you had the best, the best has found better.
21. Being single doesn’t necessarily mean you’re available. Sometimes you have to put up a sign that says ‘Do Not Disturb’ on your heart.
22. Don’t date the most beautiful girl in the world, date the girl that makes your world the most beautiful.
23. Worrying is stupid. It’s like walking around with an umbrella waiting for it to rain.
24. I never feared death or dying. I only feared not trying.
25. I am not a Facebook status, you do not have to like me.
Wiz Khalifa’s Relationship and Son
Khalifa began dating model Amber Rose way back in 2011. On March 1, 2012, the couple got engaged and eventually, got married on July 8, 2013. They have one son, Sebastian Taylor Thomaz. He was born on the 21st day of February 2013.
On September 24, 2014, it emerged that things had fallen apart between Khalifa and Amber. It was announced that Rose would be filing for divorce, due to ‘irreconcilable differences’. But then, rumor has it that Amber started suspecting that Wiz has been cheating on her since July 2014. It was commonly assumed that Khalifa made many excuses to avoid taking Amber with him on his tour.
Wiz Khalifa’s Financial Standing
Being one of the loved artists by the youths, he avows Jimi Hendrix, Camp Lo, The Notorious B.I.G. and Bone Thugs-n-Harmony to inspire his artistic persona. Wiz Khalifa’s wealth in 2013 peaked to around $25 million. In 2014, it was estimated that his net worth has climbed to $35 million. Presently, it is believed that Wiz Khalifa’s net worth is $45 million.
While a major bulk of his wealth has been attributed to his music career, Forbes made a list of ‘Khalifa’s Smokin’ Hot Merchandise’ which have all contributed to the value of his wealth.
Wiz Khalifa has always been named in Forbes’ Cash Kings list which captured the world’s highest-paid hip-hop artists. For instance, he was in 2013, ranked as no. 8 with $14 million among the top 20 world’s highest-paid hip-hop artists. Hip-hop Cash Kings 2017 saw him listed as no. 7 with $28 million.
Quick Facts about Wiz Khalifa
Full Name: Cameron Jibril Thomaz
Profession: Rapper, Singer-songwriter, Actor
Height: 5′ 8″
Weight: 82 kg
Date of Birth: September 8, 1987
Place of Birth: Minot, North Dakota, United States
Education: Taylor Allderdice High School in Squirrel Hill, Pittsburgh
Marital status: Divorced (Amber Rose)
Children: 1 (Sebastian Taylor Thomaz)