What else can be sweeter to the ear than a negative story turned positive? It is even sweeter when it is real-life such as that of Valerie Azlynn. At only 13 years of age, Azlynn had to face open heart surgery due to Atrial Septal Defect (ASD). According to Mayo Clinic, a victim of ASD suffers from shortness of breath (especially when exercising), fatigue, swelling of legs, feet, and abdomen, heart palpitations, stroke, and heart murmur. So, imagine what little Valerie must have passed through.
Happily enough, her story did not end there. Instead, after her successful open heart surgery, she recovered fully and her appearance changed from sickly to resplendently beautiful till date. Since 2013, Valerie has been using her negative experience positively by working as a national spokesperson for Mended Little Hearts National Organization. In that position, Valerie mainly works to help kids who had open heart surgery to overcome ill feelings that normally come with it. This is aside from her copious work as an actress in both film and TV.
What a happy story to tell! So, come with us as we go deep in considering the life, career and more of this unique personality. You will certainly have a number of key lessons to learn from her.
Valerie was born exactly one month to the Christmas of 1980 (that is, 25th November). Her birth name was Valerie Asselin. She bore her birth name well into her acting career. At a point, however, she changed to her present name. But, we cannot tell exactly when nor why.
Her growing up days were spent in the hysterically busy seaport city of New London in the U.S. State of Connecticut. The stimulating effect on her life is quite obvious. It is certainly a factor in where Valerie eventually finds herself in the rungs of success today.
Azlynn went ahead to attend The Williams School, a co-educational college preparatory day school located right on the campus of Connecticut College there in New London County. After some time here, she later went to round off her high school education at Waterford High School in the suburban Waterford public Schools District also in Connecticut.
After high school, Valerie went to a private acting college, The New York Conservatory for Dramatic Arts (NYCDA). She was 17 when she started at NYCDA (formerly, The School for Film and Television) and she was there for two years.
Following her graduating from NYCDA, Valerie Azlynn immediately started her acting career right there in New York. She joined a theater group and sang for an opera in Manhattan, New York. However, she would ultimately have to move to the Hollywood headquarters, Los Angeles where her acting career blossomed fully.
Career (Movies and TV Shows)
Valerie’s professional acting career debuted as soon as she graduated from NYCDA. She started in a supporting role as Steelway’s girlfriend in the 1998 film Mystic Nights and Pirate Fights. After that, the following roles followed:
- Girlfriend in the 2002 short film, Late
- A double role of the Bartender and Judy Gillman in The Bar (2003).
- Tina in Arizona (2004)
- Angel in Constantine (2005)
- A Model in Bewitched (2005)
- Kate Peterson in I’m Reed Fish (2006)
- The First passenger in Poseidon (2006)
- Jessica in Broken (2006)
- Damien’s Assistant in Tropic Thunder (2008)
- Nicole in The Last Hurrah (2009)
- Bridget in Surrogates (2009)
- Karen in The Third Rule (A 2010 short film)
- Barbara in Good News, Oklahoma! (A 2011 short film)
- Julia in Julia X (2011)
- Michelle in Caroline and Jackie (2012)
- Val in Playdate (2013)
- Jennifer Thomas in Nevermore (2014)
- Rebecca in Cupid’s Proxy (2017)
Valerie Azlynn’s major TV role so far is as Melanie Sutton in the TBS sitcom, Sullivan and Son where she appeared on 33 episodes between 2012 and 2014. Other TV roles are as:
- Amber in 10-8: Officers On Duty (an ABC police drama series, 2004, 1 episode)
- Piper in The Joe Schmo Show (Spike TV reality hoax show, 9 episodes)
- Allison in Life On A Stick (A Fox sitcom, 2005, 1 episode)
- Candace in Joey (an NBC sitcom, 2005, 1 episode)
- Beth in Two And A Half Men (A CBS sitcom, 2006, 1 episode)
- Jolier in The Loop (A 2006 Fox sitcom, 1 episode)
- Rachel in One On One (a 2006 sitcom on the defunct UPN Channel, 1 episode)
- Eve Demming in CSI: NY (a police procedural series on CBS, 2006, 1 episode)
- Dawn in How I Met Your Mother (A CBS sitcom, 2006, 1 episode)
- Cindy in Smith (A CBS TV drama, 2006/2007, 2 episodes)
- Sulu in Unhitched (2008 Fox sitcom, 1 episode)
- Stacy in Rules Of Engagement (a sitcom, 2008, 1 episode).
- Alicia in The Big Bang Theory (a CBS sitcom, 2009, 1 episode)
- Sharon Lertola in Cold Case (A CBS police procedural series, 2009, 1 episode)
- Sara in The Ex List (CBS comedy-drama series, 2009, 1 episode)
- Veronica in iCarly (a Nickelodeon teen sitcom, 2009/2010, 2 episodes)
- Jessie in Mr. Sunshine (an ABC sitcom, 2011, 1 episode)
- Kristen in Friends With Benefits (an NBC romantic sitcom, 2011, 1 episode)
- Libby in Hot In Cleveland (A TV Land sitcom, 2011, 1 episode)
- Officer Ann Hastings and Lone Vengeance (double role) in Castle (an ABC crime-comedy-drama series, 2011 – 2012, 3 episodes)
- Jen Miller in Southland (an NBC TV crime drama, 2012, 1 episode)
- As Jolene in Remember Sunday (an ABC romantic drama)
- Romy in 2 Broke Girls (A CBS sitcom, 2015, 1 episode).
Other Miscellaneous Facts About Valerie Azlynn
- Valerie Azlynn’s listed height is 5 feet, 9 inches (175 cm).
- While her listed weight is 137 lbs (62kg).
- As for her breasts-waist-hips measurement, they are 36-26-36 inches (or 91-66-91 cm).
- The actress wears a bra size of 34B. Shoe size 8 (U.S.) while her dress size is 6.
- With these, a flat stomach and a well-toned body, Azlynn is just right to be a model.
- Then, what is Valerie Azlynn’s net worth? We have not been able to get a reliable figure for her net worth. But with the long line of both film and TV roles, it is expected that her net worth should be running into millions of dollars.