Despite a rough childhood, Ozuna rose through his challenges, paved his path to fame and has recorded remarkable success in the music industry. The urban artist is yet another proof of the current Latin pop fluidity. From Reggaeton to Latin Trap to Bachata, Ozuna has got his fans covered as he does justice to all these genres equally. Discover lesser-known facts about the talented and prolific star who is one of the newest waves of urban artistes Latin America has produced.
Ozuna’s Bio & Age
Jan Carlos Ozuna Rosado’s birthdate is March 13, 1992. The Puerto Rican reggaeton star from San Juan is of Dominican heritage through his father and Puerto Rican heritage through his mother. Ozuna had a tough childhood as he lost his father at the young age of three. A former professional dancer, his father was fatally shot and his death consequently threw his family into untold hardship. His mother, Yomary Rosado Marrero, struggled to make ends meet, thus the singer was mainly raised by his paternal grandmother. There is a scarcity of information about the singer’s educational background but it is common knowledge that he had his tertiary education in New York City.
Ozuna’s musical inclinations were evident from an early age. He began making music as a teenager. The singer then relocated to New York in 2010 and remained in the city for three years. It was while in NY that Ozuna debuted as a singer with his 2012 song Imaginando. Ozuna later returned to his hometown of San Juan and began focusing mainly on his musical career. He gradually gained popularity while working with Musicologo & Menes and recorded remarkable success within a short while.
The reggaeton star signed a recording contract with Golden Family Records in 2014 and began uploading his songs on YouTube. It was in that year that Ozuna dropped the song Si No Te Quiere featuring rapper D.OZi. The song was a great commercial success in Latin America and quickly earned Ozuna fame. By 2015, the singer could boast of amazing performances in over 300 Puerto Rican shows.
2016 was a big year for Ozuna. After the collaborative hit single La Ocasión, which featured several stars including De La Ghetto, DJ Luian, Arcángel, Mambo Kingz, and Anuel AA, Ozuna dropped the No Quiere Enamorarse Remix featuring Daddy Yankee in March. The song was a bigger hit and earned Ozuna over 80 million views on his YouTube channel. The Boricua singer’s biggest hit yet was later released towards the end of 2016. Dile Que Tú Me Quieres not only surpassed its predecessors in commercial success but was also a top Billboard chart climber. Ozuna quickly followed up with two other singles Si Tu Marido No Te Quiere Remix and En La Intimidad.
The recording artist eventually released his debut studio album Odisea in 2017. Notably, the song Te Vas was the biggest track in the album after it garnered millions of views on social media. That same year, Ozuna released other singles including Dile Que Tu Me Quieres (Remix), Tu Foto, Se Preparó, and Despues de las 12 which were also viral hits and top chart climbers. Ozuna also recorded successful collaborative efforts in 2017; notable among them are Escápate Conmigo with Wisin, La Rompe Corazones with Daddy Yankee, La Modelo with Cardi B, and Ahora Dice with J Balvin, Arcángel & Chris Jeday. The reggaeton star’s sophomore album Aura was released in August 2018 to critical acclaim. His third album Nibiru has a 2019 release date.
Besides his musical career, Ozuna has other credits in the entertainment industry. He has caught the acting bug and debuted as an actor in the film Que Leon. On TV, Ozuna featured in the Hispanic drama series Hermanos en la clandestinidad. More so, the singer has appeared in a Puerto Rican special edition of The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon and has featured in TV commercials for top brands like Toyota.
Ozuna’s remarkable music success has been recognized at various industry levels. Notably, he clinched the Best Breakthrough Artist award at the 2017 Premios Juventud. In 2018, he was named YouTube’s most-viewed artist globally and won the Best New Latin Artist award at the iHeartRadio Music Awards. In 2019, Ozuna won three Billboard Music Awards and eleven Billboard Latin music awards, including artist of the year.
Who Is Ozuna’s Wife? Is He Gay?
Jan Carlos Ozuna Rosado is happily married to his heartthrob, Taina Marie Meléndez. There is a scarcity of information about the couple’s romance from the outset as well as their wedding date. However, Ozuna and Taina have since expanded their family and are proud parents to two children – a daughter, Sofia Ozuna Meléndez, and a son, Jacob Andres Ozuna Meléndez.
The couple has been relatively private with details of their personal life. However, it is safe to say they have found true love in each others’ arms and are living their best lives yet. In fact, Ozuna appears to have strong family values as he has publicly stated of his intent to remain in the spotlight for just a few more years, before retreating from public life in order to spend more time with his family. Interestingly, the singer’s sexuality has raised eyebrows in some quarters but his relationship status and dating history should be a pointer to the obvious.
The Puerto Rican singer has distinctive physical features. While Ozuna may not be your tallest nor shortest celebrity favorite, the dreadlocked singer stands at an average height of 5 feet 6 inches and weighs about 65 kg. Other details about his body measurements are not available at the moment.
Facts About The Singer
1. Not many are aware that Ozuna used to perform under the stage name of “J Oz” earlier in his career. The singer who considers himself to be a typical Boricua with Dominican blood later changed it and adopted one of his middle names instead.
2. In 2017, Jan Carlos Ozuna Rosado was embroiled in a blackmail controversy. The singer fell victim to a blackmail scheme, involving a raunchy video of him when he was underage. In the extortion plot, which was reported to both the FBI and Miami Police Department, trap singer Kevin Fret claimed to have an intimate video of 16-year-old Ozuna performing a sex act for which Fret demanded money to keep it out of public view. Ozuna who eventually paid Fret $50,000 before reporting to the FBI, later issued a public apology in 2019. The urban artist not only apologized but also condemned the act while admitting that the video was a product of a juvenile mistake fueled by ignorance.
3. The reggaeton star considers Romeo Santos as his favorite singer. According to Ozuna, he looks up to the Dominican-American bachata star because he makes ecstatic music. Rosado also counts Drake and Rihanna as his inspirations because of their ability to move easily between styles.
4. Ozuna’s exact salary has not been disclosed but he has a net worth that is currently pegged at $3 million, a figure is expected to increase at a prolific rate in the near future given his many works in the pipeline.
5. The musician largely owes much of his fame to the influence of social media. Besides his YouTube channel, the singer has amassed millions of fans on other popular social networking sites. Fans can connect with Ozuna on his Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter accounts.
6. The Puerto Rican star is one of those celebrities who spend their wealth on philanthropy. Among other efforts, he launched a charity organization, Odisea Children, in 2017.