It’s a known fact that most celebrity marriages don’t last, so, stars like Neil Diamond decided to shift their love interest to women who are not in the spotlight but could be working behind the scenes. Out of the three women who the legendary singer has married so far, none has as much fame as he enjoys. One of those women is beautiful Marcia Murphey. Though she worked as a TV producer, Marcia was unpopular until she married Neil Diamond and became his second wife. Their marriage did last, ending up as his longest and arguably the most talked-about to date, despite their divorce later. To date, even Neil Diamond hasn’t stopped speaking proudly of her.
Just in case you don’t know Neil Diamond, he is an iconic American singer and songwriter, as well as an actor with 38 chart-topping and commercially successful hits. His songs have won him a number of awards and got his name inducted in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.
Marcia Murphey’s Bio
Much to the frustration of the media, the former wife of Neil Diamond prefers to share less information about herself with the public. Therefore, there are no details of her date of birth, parents, family, siblings and early life. The only information that can be confirmed about the producer is that she was born and raised in the United States. As such, nobody knows the details of her education and the type of certificate she obtained. However, there are discernible signs that Marcia Murphey is well-educated, especially for the fact that she pursued a career in media production. We also don’t know the name of the university she attended but it is evident that she may have attended one of the best universities in the United States. As for her career, there are no records of her job accomplishments. The only available information relating to this matter is that she met her sweetheart Neil Diamond while working as a production assistant.
Marcia Murphey’s Family: Kids, Ex-Husband Neil Diamond
While Neil Diamond’s music career was starting to grow rapidly, he met and fell in love with Marcia Murphey, a production assistant. The only problem at the time was that he was still married to Jaye Posner, his first wife whom he had developed a schoolboy love for during their college days. Nevertheless, his romance with Marcia blossomed. His first marriage which started in 1963 later crumbled in 1967 after producing two children named Marjorie and Elyn. This enabled things to work out quickly between Marcia and Neil and in December 1969, they got married. Their marriage also produced two children; sons named Jessie, born in 1970 and Micah, born in 1978. The family lived in their Malibu Beach house at that time. In 1994, after twenty-five years and two kids, their marriage ended on the grounds of irreconcilable differences.
Neil Diamond was born and raised principally in Brooklyn, New York. He was born on the 24th of January 1941 to Jewish parents. The music genius has been in the music industry for over four decades now, having started singing professionally in 1962. Respected as one of the most successful musicians of all time, Neil Diamond’s current net worth is estimated at $175 million, primarily made from his music career. This isn’t startling, knowing that all his albums are commercially successful, with over 100 million copies sold worldwide. So far, he has about 34 studio albums which include 38 Top 40 hit singles.
Interesting Facts About Neil Diamond’s Ex-Wife
1. Marcia Murphey’s divorce from her ex-husband Neil Diamond made her a multi-millionaire. She received a whopping $150 million as divorce settlement – nearly half of Neil’s fortune. It was said to be one of the largest millionaire divorces in history. Shockingly, Neil Diamond wasn’t mad about the huge amount that he had to pay. Though he debunked this without revealing the actual amount, he believes that his ex-wife deserved what she got and wished her all the happiness that such amount can buy.
2. Marcia Murphey has been out of the dating circle since her divorce from Neil Diamond and seems not ready to build a new relationship. Meanwhile, her ex-husband Neil Diamond has already found himself another woman named Katie McNeil and although their age difference is quite huge, they have stayed married since 2012.
3. Marcia is a volunteer at the American Civil Liberties Union.
4. During Marcia’s marriage to the famous musician, she once declined a staff job offer so she could have their second child, Micah – a decision she is very proud to have taken.
5. Marcia Murphey is a grandmother to an adorable boy named Elijah. The young boy is the child of her first son with Neil named Jessie.