In the world of journalism today, particularly among nationally recognized journalists who work for high ranking cable news networks, Lester Holt, a journalist working for NBC is one of the most popular and respected in the industry. His status comes from the quality of his work as a journalist, and also as a family man. Carol Hagen & Lester Holt have been married for over three decades, during which they have had children and grandchildren.
Carol Hagen & Lester Holt’s marriage is one of the rare successes in an industry whose demands and structure don’t leave room for sustainable marriages. We will explore their journey as a couple below. Read on to learn more about one of the longest standing marriages in America’s journalism industry.
How Long Have Carol Hagen & Lester Holt Been Married?
To fully understand their journey as a married couple, we must familiarize ourselves with how they met and that happened in 1980 when Lester Holt was still a student at California State University. At the time, Carol Hagen was working as a flight attendant. The working class/student dynamic between them did not last for long as Lester began a career in New York City soon after, a fact that led Carol to famously call him ‘the fastest mike in the west’ during an interview in 2004.
After two years of dating, Carol Hagen & Lester Holt got married on the 8th of May, 1982 and have been together ever since, achieving a rare feat of being happily married for thirty years in 2012. If you happen to be wondering how they have managed to stay married for so long, according to Lester Holt, it is because they understand each other, particularly the demands of his job, and they laugh a lot together.
In the time they have been married, the couple has not only grown to be best companions with each other but they have also raised children of their own and as well became grandparents.
Who Are Their Children?
They gave birth to their first child, a son, Stefan in 1987. Their second child is a son named Cameron. Through Stefan, Carol and Lester have become grandparents following the birth of Henry Holt and Samuel Richard Holt in 2017 and June 2019 respectively.
Carol Hagen & Lester Holt’s two children have grown to become admirable adults who have achieved considerable success in their chosen field, another feather in the cap of their marriage.
Their first son, Stefan has followed in his father’s footsteps to become a journalist and has been working for WNBC-TV since 2016. He is a graduate of Pepperdine University and began his career as an intern at KABC-TV in Los Angeles and with NBC News in London. Since he finished his education, he has worked as an anchor and a reporter for media outlets like WMAQ, WPBF, before joining WNBC-TV where he has worked as an anchor for the station’s late-night news, replacing notable journalist, Chuck Scarborough.
Their second son, Cameron, on the other hand, has chosen a career in the finance industry. Unlike his brother, Carol Hagen & Lester Holt’s second child is an analyst for Morgan Stanley. He has, however, spent some time working in the media industry as an intern for CNBC where he worked on two shows, CNBC Reports, and Squawk on the Street. Outside of that, his resume includes his work as a summer analyst for Credit Suisse and a software engineering intern for Rapleaf. His official role for Morgan Stanley is an Equity Derivatives Trader. He is a graduate of Stanford University where he also worked as a teaching assistant.
Other Facts About Carol Hagen & Lester Holt
- Carol Hagen is a licensed real estate agent who specializes in helping clients maximize their resale potential.
- Aside from her career as a real estate agent, she has also worked extensively in the travel industry and sales and management.
- Carol is a big fan of modern architecture, as well as a lover of jazz. She also enjoys skiing.
- Carol Hagen & Lester Holt are known to often travel with each other on his travel assignments. The two of them notably traveled together for the Rio Summer Olympics in 2016.
- Lester Holt has won a variety of awards throughout his career as a journalist, including major awards like getting inducted into the California Hall of Fame on October 2015, winning the Alan B. DuMont Broadcaster of the Year in 2016, Honorary Doctorate from California State University and Pepperdine University and the NABJ Journalist of the Year Award from the National Association of Black Journalists.